Clark County 4-H Families and Volunteers:
Many of you are probably wondering what the Governor’s recent announcement regarding removal of the mask mandate on June 2, 2021 means for 4-H. We were notified yesterday that “OSU Extension is working with CFAES and OSU Leadership to determine how Governor DeWine’s announcement may impact 4-H in-person programming.” As soon as we are informed by OSU leadership, we will let you know. We encourage you to continue to do your part to protect yourself, your family, and our community from the spread of COVID19.
OSU Extension, Clark County has posted a Program Assistant Position (50% FCS and 50% 4-H), if you or someone you know may be interested, please have them go to https://go.osu.edu/applyclarkcountyprogasst. Deadline to apply is May 16, 2021.
We would like to welcome Barb Spaller our new Office Assistant to the OSU Extension, Clark County Office. As you come into the office or call in, please take time to welcome her and help her make connections to all the 4-H volunteers, members, clubs, and families we work with. She is excited to become a part of the team and learn more about the 4-H program.
Congratulations to all the 4-H Seniors that have or will soon be graduating from High School. We are excited for your accomplishments and want to wish you Good Luck with your future endeavors.
4-H Scholarships to Help with Future Plans
If you are a high school graduate that plans on continuing your education at a college or trade school, you can apply for one of the 2021 Clark County 4-H Scholarships. Application is available at https://clark.osu.edu/sites/clark/files/imce/Program_Pages/4H/Teen/2021%20Clark%20County%204-H%20Scholarship.pdf The deadline to apply is July 1, 2021. Scholarships will be awarded at the 2021 Clark County Fair during Winners Revue and respective species shows.
Clark County 4-H Scholarships available include:
- 2 - $500 Scholarships Sponsored by the Clark County 4-H Committee
- 2 - $250 Scholarships Sponsored by the Clark County 4-H Committee
- 1 - $500 Scholarship Sponsored by the Clark County 4-H Dairy Committee
- 2 - $500 Scholarships Sponsored by the Clark County 4-H Horse Committee
- 2 -$250 or 1 - $500 Scholarship Sponsored by the Clark County 4-H Sheep Committee
In addition, the Springfield Kiwanis annually sponsors the Clark County 4-H Outstanding 4-H’er Award and Scholarships. Two 4-H members are selected from an application and interview process and recognized at the Winner’s Revue at Fair. With the honor, comes a scholarship. Springfield Kiwanis has decided to increase the scholarship amount from $500 to $1000. Any 4-H member 16 years of age and older may apply for the Outstanding 4-H’er Award and Scholarship. Application. Deadline is July 1 and interviews are held at 4-H Miscellaneous Project Judging on July 13. To apply, go to https://clark.osu.edu/sites/clark/files/imce/Program_Pages/4H/Application_Forms/TeenLeadership/2021%20Outstanding%204-H%20Member%20Award.pdf
It is Time to Register for the 2021 Clark County 4-H Camp
Deadline to Register June 5, 2021 or Until Full
- Register now at https://go.osu.edu/2021clarkco4hcamp
Embark on an adventure of a lifetime as Cabin castaways compete for "IMMUNITY" and "REWARDS" to earn "CABIN" points during 4-H Camp's challenges and activities. Will you "SURVIVE" the "FUN" that 4-H Camp Counselors and staff have planned for you and your friends? Unique for 2021, campers will stay with their "CABIN COHORTS" throughout camp to participate in workshops and large group activities testing camper's true survivor skills and competitive spirit.
- Episode: Sun., June 20, 3:30 PM to Thurs., June 24, 8:30 AM
- Castaways: Youth, age 8 and in 3rd grade to age 14 (as of Jan. 1)
- Marooned On: 4-H Camp Clifton, 2256 Clifton Road, just off St. Rt. 72, next to John Bryan State Park
- Provisions: 23 rustic shelters (cabins), lodge, canteen, nature center, dining hall, bathrooms, and pool.
- Hosts: Trained teens, adult volunteers, OSU Extension, and 4-H Camp Clifton’s staff plan and conduct all camp activities.
Challenges and Activities: Each cabin will have the opportunity to choose the sessions they want to participate in for workshops each day. There are 6 workshop time slots during camp, so each cabin will be able to do a sampling of the seven different workshop areas.
- Arts & Crafts: Sun or Dream Catchers, DIY Lanterns, Duct Tape Art, Tie Dye, Musical Instruments, Survivor Bracelets, String Art and More
- Sports and Recreation: Beach Volleyball, Capture the Flag, 9-Square, Gaga Ball, Wiffleball, Dodgeball, Scooter Races, Line Dancing, Sharks and Minnows, Basketball and More
- Pool and Water Games: Marco Polo, Water Olympics, Water Balloon Games, Battleship and More
- Cooking: Campfire Treats, Outdoor Cooking, Survivor Cook-Off/Bake-Off and More
- STEM: Slimy Science (slime, Oobleck, volcanoes), Exploding Engineering (bottle rockets, catapults, race cars), STEM Art (Hydro painting, pendulum painting) and More
- Nature: Animal Calls, Tracks and Camouflage, Scavenger Hunt, Geo-Caching and More
- Outdoor Adventure: Team Challenge, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting Sports and More
Large Group Activities: Camper castaways will participate in whole camp activities with cabins competing against each other and laughing together in Cabin Cohorts. These activities include Campfire, Survivor Challenges and Competitions, Flag Ceremonies, Inspiration Trials and Tribulations, Camp Songs, Teambuilding Activities, Survival Excursions, Camp Dance, Night Swim, Glow-N-Dark Games and Movies and So Much More!
Camper Castaway Admission Fee: $275/4-H member or $325/non-4-H Member
Camp Fee Includes: All Camp Activities, Camp/Cabin Cohort Photo, Camp T-Shirt
Payment Due: No later than June 5, 2021 (Cash or Check)
Mail Payment to: Clark County 4-H Committee, P.O. Box 444, Springfield, OH 45501 OR
Pay in Person: May 20, 4 PM to 7 PM, May 25 and 26, 11 AM to 7 PM or June 3, 4 PM to 7 PM, Extension Office.
REFUND Policy: If for some reason a camper cannot attend camp or must go home early from camp due to a positive exposure to COVID-19, tests positive for COVID-19, is in Quarantine or has symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath, etc.), a full REFUND will be issued to the camper's family.
Financial Assistance: If your child needs financial assistance to be able to attend the 2021 Clark County 4-H Camp. Please complete the 2021 Clark County 4-H Camp Scholarship at https://go.osu.edu/clarkco4hcampscholarship. The deadline to apply for a 4-H Camp Scholarship is May 20th. Applicants will be notified by May 25th of scholarship dollars awarded.
Once you register and make payment, each castaway (Camper) will:
- Receive Required Paperwork to Bring to Camp
- A Camp Supplies and Packing List
- Survey Link to Register for a Camp Drop-Off Time for Staggered Camper Arrival
We are "EXCITED" to be going back to "4-H CAMP" and we hope you are too! Please know that everything possible is being done to minimize exposure to COVID-19. Here are some of the practices that are in place to ensure the safety of everyone.
- A Camp Facility Plan has been approved by Ohio State University as well as the Greene County Health Department where Camp Clifton resides.
- Campers will remain in their Cabin Cohort from camp arrival to dismissal.
- Campers DO NOT HAVE TO WEAR MASKS when in their Cabin Cohort, showering, swimming, water activities, strenuous activities, sitting and eating or when social distancing can be maintained from other Cabin Cohorts. Currently, masks are expected to be worn at other times by everyone this is subject to change. OSU Extension is working with CFAES and OSU Leadership to determine how Governor DeWine’s announcement may impact 4-H in-person programming including camp.
- Capacity limits have been established for all areas on camp. Cabin Capacity: 10 (8 campers and 2 Counselors/CIT's), Dining Hall Capacity: 80 total - we will be eating in shifts and/or using outside areas when weather permits.
- Curbside Camper Check-In with staggered arrival times will be utilized and only the campers and counselors staying in an assigned cabin are permitted in that cabin.
- Health Risk Assessment and Temperature Check Will Be Done Upon Camp Arrival.
- Hand Sanitizing Stations will be provided throughout camp for frequent use by campers, counselors, and staff.
- Increased Sanitization Between 4-H Camps and throughout Camp of facilities, tables, chairs, microphones, supplies, equipment, etc. will be conducted by Camp management.
- As recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics, Pediatricians can ADVISE FAMILIES on whether it is safe for a child to attend camp based on his or her medical history and should make sure the child is up to date on vaccines.
Questions: If you have any questions regarding the 2021 Clark County 4-H Camp, please do not hesitate to contact Patty House, 4-H Extension Educator, 937-398-7599 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Any 4-H or FFA market livestock exhibitor that has not completed the annual youth livestock quality assurance requirement has 4 more chances to attend until the June 8 deadline. Anyone that does not complete this annual requirement WILL NOT SHOW AT THE 2021 CLARK COUNTY JR. FAIR and/or THE 2021 OHIO STATE FAIR.
Exhibitors that are required to complete a Youth Livestock Quality Assurance Program include:
Market Beef Market Dairy Steers Market Hogs
Market Lambs Market Goats Market Chickens
Market Ducks Market Turkeys Market Rabbits
Lactating Dairy Cows Lactating Dairy Goats
Please use the following link https://go.osu.edu/clarkco4hyouthqasessions to register for the session you wish to attend, please register by midnight the day before the session you want to attend. ZOOM links for the May 25 and June 1 sessions will be e-mailed out by noon the day of the QA sessions for those that have registered.
Youth Quality Assurance Sessions
- May 18 – 7 PM, Youth Building, Clark County Fairgrounds
- May 25 – 7 PM, ZOOM
- June 1 – 7 PM, ZOOM
- June 7 - 7 PM, Arts & Crafts Bldg., Clark County Fairgrounds
Outstanding Horse Youth – Apply by June 1, 2021
Who: Current horse project members that have not won the age division
Jr. Division (age 8 and in 3rd grade to age 13), Sr. Division (age 14-18)
- Complete on-line application at https://go.osu.edu/2021clarkoutstandinghorseyouthcompetition
by June 1, 2021.
- Participate in Interview at the Horse Skill-a-thon on June 14, 6 PM, Clark County Fairgrounds
- Take a Written Test at the Horse Skill-a-thon on June 14, 6 PM, Clark County Fairgrounds
- Compete in Horsemanship and Showmanship Classes at the 2021 Clark County PAS Horse Show on Sunday, June 27.
Awards: Winners will be announced at the 2021 Clark County Jr. Fair Horse Awards Ceremony. Any winner must receive at least 80% of total points to receive the Outstanding Horse Youth Buckles.
More information is included on the application link and in the Clark County Jr. Fair Horse Rules.
Start Making 2021 Clark County Jr. Fair Entries Now
Please use the 2021 Fair Entry Instructional Packet for 4-H and FFA Members available on the 4-H App and the Web to assist you in making entry. https://clark.osu.edu/sites/clark/files/imce/Program_Pages/4H/ClarkCoFair/2021%20Fair%20Entry%20Instructional%20Packet%20for%204-H%20and%20FFA%20Members.pdf
To make entry go to http://clarkohjrfair.fairentry.com/
The 2021 Clark County Jr. Fair On-Line Entries are open for 4-H and FFA members to make entry for ONLY the following:
- Dairy Heifers and Cows – Due June 1, 2021
- Dairy, Pygmy, Fiber, Cart and Market Production Doe Goats – Due June 1, 2021
- Breeding Beef and Beef Feeders – Due July 1, 2021
- Alpacas and Llamas – Due July 1, 2021
- Fancy and Egg Production Poultry – Due July 1, 2021
- Dog Shows – Due July 1, 2021
- Horse Shows – Due July 1, 2021
- All Showmanship Classes for All Species – Due July 1, 2021
- Baking Contest – Due July 10, 2021
- Art Contest – Due July 23, 2021
DO NOT MAKE ENTRY ON FAIR ENTRY FOR THE FOLLOWING
We are making entry for all the animals listed below based on pre-fair tagins/check-in/weigh-in, market exhibitor registration on-line forms, bulk orders, project judging, etc. IF you make entries for any of the animals listed below using Fair Entry - WE WILL NOT ACCEPT THEM!
- All Cavies
- All Rabbits
- All Market Poultry (Market Turkeys, Market Chickens, Market Ducks)
- Market Beef
- Market Dairy Steers
- Dairy Feeders
- Market Lambs
- Market Goats
- Market Hogs
- Miscellaneous and Shooting Sports Projects
2021 Ohio State Fair – July 19-August 8
If you are interested in showing at the 2021 Ohio State Fair, you must make entry by June 20, 2021 on-line. The 2021 Ohio State Fair Livestock Show schedule can be found at https://ohiostatefair.com/agriculture-livestock/livestock-schedule/
We will be selecting State Fair Selection and Alternates during 4-H Miscellaneous and Shooting Sports Project Judging to participate in the 2021 Ohio State Fair. Information regarding which projects will be judged what days at the Ohio State Fair can be found at https://ohio4h.org/ohiostatefair
Upcoming Deadlines for 4-H and Jr. Fair Events and Contests
- Register by Midnight May 15 ALL Market Hogs eligible for the 2021 Clark County Jr. Fair on the 2021 Clark County Market Hog Exhibitor Form.
Go to https://go.osu.edu/2021clarkcountyjrfairmarkethogexhibitorregistration
- Register by Midnight May 17 for the Goat Clinic and/or Youth Quality Assurance In-Person. Go to https://go.osu.edu/clarkco4hgoatclinicqa
Tuesday, May 18, 6 PM, Youth QA in the Youth Building and 7:15 PM Goat Clinic in the Sheep Arena, you can bring your Goat to practice for showmanship.
- Register by Midnight May 24 for the May 25 Youth Quality Assurance ZOOM
Register at https://go.osu.edu/clarkco4hyouthqasessions
- Pay 4-H Activity Fees In-Person on May 25 or 26, 11 AM to 7 PM, Extension Office OR
Mail Prior to May 26 to Clark Co. 4-H Advisory Committee, P.O. Box, 444, Springfield, OH 45501
2021 4-H Fees Paid by 7 PM, May 26: $25/member and $5/cloverbud
021 4-H Fees Paid After 7 PM, May 26: $30/member and $10/cloverbud
- Register by May 25 for Sew Fun Camp, Tues., June 1-Thurs., June 3, 5 PM-7 PM, Extension Office. Register at https://go.osu.edu/clarkco4hsewfuncamp to register. Open to any 4-H member enrolled with the Sew Fun Clothing Project.
- Register by Midnight May 31 for the June 1 Youth Quality Assurance ZOOM
Register at https://go.osu.edu/clarkco4hyouthqasessions
- Register by Midnight June 6 for the June 7 Youth Quality Assurance In-Person at Fairgrounds
Register at https://go.osu.edu/clarkco4hyouthqasessions
- Apply for Clark Co. Jr. Fair Animal Royalty by June 10
Apply at https://go.osu.edu/2021clarkcountyjrfairanimalroyalty
- Apply for Winterhoff and Senior Beef Award by June 10
Apply at https://go.osu.edu/2021clarkcountyjrfairsrbeefwinterhoffawards
Upcoming 4-H Committee Meetings
- Horse Committee – May 17, 7 PM, Outdoor Horse Arena
- Swine Committee – May 17, 7 PM, ZOOM
In the 4-H Spirit,
4-H Extension Educator