2021 Clark County Fair Ractopamine Free Swine Shows
What is Ractopamine?
A beta-adrenergic agonist that when fed according to label directions can improve pig growth rate, carcass composition, and feed conversion efficiency. Product tradenames include: Paylean®, Optaflexx®, Engain®, Actogain®, and other generic derivatives.
What does this mean for you to Exhibit a Ractopamine-Free Swine Project?
- Start now to educate yourself on exhibiting a Ractopamine-Free market hog at the Clark County Fair. Read and utilize the fact sheet Ractopamine Free Swine Project authored by Dr. Steve Moeller, OSU Extension Swine Specialist for detailed information. Check the OSU Extension, Clark County website http://clark.osu.edu and the Clark County Fair website http://clarkcoag.com for updates and more information as available.
- Prior to purchasing any market hogs for the 2021 Fair, exhibitors MUST thoroughly clean with a detergent or soap and water and disinfect your facilities, equipment, water and feed troughs, pens, feed storage areas, fans, trailers, etc. to remove any Ractopamine residue if fed in previous years.
- When purchasing your market hogs, ask your breeders about their Ractopamine use and what steps they have taken to reduce Ractopamine residue in their operations.
- When purchasing feed, work with your feed supplier to assure your feed is Ractopamine-free. Utilize the Show Pig Nutrition Fact Sheet to help you make decisions to meet your market hogs’ nutritional needs.
- Participate in the May 4, Clark County 4-H Swine Clinic, PQA and Youth Quality Assurance Program to continue learning about producing a Ractopamine-Free Swine Project for the Fair.
- At Fair weigh-in, all market hog exhibitors and parents/legal guardians will be required to sign an Affidavit indicating that they have not knowingly fed Ractopamine to their market hogs in order to be able to show and/or sell at the Clark County Fair.
For additional information on producing a Ractopamine-Free market hog, visit the Ohio Pork Council website https://ohiopork.org/ractopamine-free/.
If you have additional questions, please e-mail email@example.com and your question will be directed to the best source for an answer.